I've had several people ask me for an update on the laundry detergent I made on Tuesday. I'm happy to report that it gets clothes (and towels, and dog blankets) very clean. I know it's still early, but currently I see no reason to go back to using store-bought detergent.
Here's what you need to buy. I found everything at Walmart.
- one 1.3lb container of Oxi Clean
- one 4lb box of Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda
- one 4lb 12oz box of 20 Mule Team Borax
- one 3lb 7oz box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- three 5.5oz bars of Fels-Naptha
- one container Purex Crystals or Downy Unstoppables (optional, but recommended) * if you're looking for a nicer scent, try adding Scentsy Washer Whiffs instead!
Using a cheese grater, grate all three bars of Fels-Naptha.
(If you don't have a food processor, you will have to finely grate the Fels-Naptha. If you do have a food processor, coarsely grate the Fels-Naptha, throw in a handful of baking soda, and stick it in the freezer for awhile. Once it's nice and cold, run it through your food processor until it is finely granulated.
Mix all the ingredients together, and stir well.
You only need 1-2 tablespoons per load. I use the scoop that came with the Oxi Clean, and it seems to be the perfect amount.